Monday, April 15, 2013

words

I believe that one of my goals I set back in the beginning was to try and be more creative. Specifically, to try and compose more and to do some DIY projects that would assist in my organization and feng shui, if you will. I've been having a hard time with both of these, but the one that particularly concerns me is the lack of creativity. I just haven't felt anything flow through me in a while and I haven't been really sure of what to do about it.

Yesterday a friend of mine posted a link to 750 words on Facebook, exalting its awesomeness. I decided to try it out and it is pretty wonderful. The goal is to write 750 words every day about whatever. It doesn't matter. The point is to write whatever is on your mind. When you finish, you can see your stats on how long it took you, words per minute, any distractions/lulls you had, and it can even analyze your moods and thoughts based on the context of your writing sample. It's analysis isn't perfect (for example, today it said that I focused on religion as a topic when in fact I said absolutely nothing about it), but some of it is right on. It's interesting to examine at least. Perhaps doing these exercises will get me into the mindset to be more creative.

750 words is a fairly new site and they're attempting to remain ad-free. As of May 1, they will be charging $5 monthly to use the site to any users who sign up on or after that date. If you sign up before then, you will get a lifetime free account. I would recommend just doing it. Worst case scenario, you don't use it, but at least it will be free in the event that you do want to jump on board. All of your writing is private and you can choose whether or not to share the analysis data with others. You can't follow other users unless you become a 'patron' and pay that $5/mo, but you can always see others data if they give you the direct link to it.

Here's mine for today.

I think when I remained logged in/revisited the site to retrieve that link it counted me as 'still typing', hence that long blank area in the graph. I guess I should log out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

life, but better Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos